Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth upgrading to windows 10?
I recently obtained an elgato for streaming. It works as a pass through for HDMI, but it won't work for streaming/recording unless I upgrade to windows 10. I have a lot of issues with W10, namely the whole "lol we're spying at you at all times" bullshit they force upon you and I'm wondering if I can turn all that shit off. That and I keep reading about issues people have when they upgrade from an older O.S. Seeing as you guys are on the up and up, I figured you'd have some insight on this. I'm currently on Windows 7 and I actually enjoy the O.S. layout as is, but if I can set windows 10 up to have a "classic look" and if I can turn that spying shit off, I'm all for upgrading to the new shit.

If I can't turn that shit off or run a "classic" mode, I suppose I can just use my old shitty capture card and deal with it. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated, as I've done all of the troubleshooting I can to run the new card and it's just no-going me.
Windows Classic is gone. Not all spying horseshit can be turned off, but there's videos explaining how to stop it through hacking.

Fun Fact: Since Windows 10 come out, Windows 7 was "upgraded" to pull the same spying horseshite anyways.

Windows 10, all in all, is quite good. I absolutely hate the look and feel, but the functionality and stability are good, and it has the halllowed "System Refresh" option that will do the magic of completely doing a fresh install of your OS without deleting any of your files. One of the most useful things that Microsoft or anyone has made. It's almost worth the price alone for the hassle it can save.
Agreed, Win10 is great.
[Image: blocked.jpg]
I have done extensive research on this topic, and considering little by little I am also building a new PC of my own, so I have considered this option myself, however, it's not just the telemetry spying shit, the useless unremovable Cortana search shit that turns me off, but I have also heard many reports of having forced app installs which, when uninstalled, shortly re-install themselves again because Satya Nadella needs dat cocaine money. And thanks to the special "Anniversary Update", YOU CAN'T DISABLE ANY OF THIS SHIT. (At least without some registry tinkering & 3rd party software which might ether be placebos, or even some kind of virus.)

Learning about all of this, I come to this personal conclusion, at least for my PC project: NO! NO! AND HEEEEEEEEEEELLLLL NAW!

I think I will just stick to Windows 7 for dear life, and my new machine will also dual boot to Linux Mint, of which the majority of my activities will be done under. For you, I suggest a dual boot to a Linux Distro of some kind aswell.
[Image: 272735ebb0.png]

There's only 2 years of life left on Windows 7.

If you build a new machine and wanna leave it open to attack within 2 years of getting it, that's fine, but I'll tell you now that running your computer on an outdated, unpatched operating system is much worse than MS spying.

If you're really that against it, Ubuntu is free and you can find a version of most programs for it, or at least an equivalent.
(05-05-2018, 08:32 AM)Davey Wrote: There's only 2 years of life left on Windows 7.

If you build a new machine and wanna leave it open to attack within 2 years of getting it, that's fine, but I'll tell you now that running your computer on an outdated, unpatched operating system is much worse than MS spying.

If you're really that against it, Ubuntu is free and you can find a version of most programs for it, or at least an equivalent.

I remember a time when we used to beat the shit out of peeping toms. Now we pay them to do it.
I should also note that when Windows 8 was released, all of this "functionality" was added to Windows 7, as well.

(and no, it can't be turned off, turning it off in options simply means it sends slightly less)
Yeah, agree with Dave here - if you're that worried about 'spying', use Linux.

Honestly, there is no guarantee of privacy on a computer connected to the internet and there never really has been.
[Image: blocked.jpg]
Ubuntu and Mint are popular and there is a fuckton of more specialized stuff if you need that.
"Are you aware the skies are merciless?"