Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time (and memory)

I wanted to fork something from this topic (http://correntia.com/forum_2014/index.php?topic=1007.0) but the weekend was full of interruptions.

Tomorrow my brother would have been 25. A few days after I turn 35 my youngest cousin (first cousin, anyway) will be 25.  For a while he was in the "younger brother I never had" role but lately it's usually saying happy birthday and Merry Christmas and not much else.

My "anchors" I'd guess you could say are mostly my grandfather.  Mandy in recent years given how infrequent and brief she'd appear.

18 years ago around this time I'm sitting in break with what was the usual group at lunch. One's dead now, one finally admitted he was gay a couple years ago, the other is happily married although at the time our other friend was still trying to get her to meet what would end up being her future husband.  And the last now seems pretty messed up, which makes me think of happier days later that summer at Disneyland.

There are college friends I haven't seen in 10-15 years but I can recall their voice and face like it was yesterday.

There's one girl in particular I can never remember her last name, even though I can remember walking down Mill Avenue hand in hand.  And the "my boyfriend never takes me out much" conversation that kinda ruined that particular evening.  Maybe the latter explains the former.

I guess I should ask what's floating around in the rest of your brains this particular moment.
"Are you aware the skies are merciless?"
It's weird how time goes faster, the older you are. I mean, seriously, it almost feels like it was Christmas only last week, and now we're only 4 weeks away from the end of the football season. Absolutely mental.

But anyways, what I always think of from back then is how the days would always pass the same and be amazing fun.

Depending on the season it'd go differently, but a typical summer day would go something like how this song goes:

[embed=425,349]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2e1iPsTLua8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Quote:The paper boy is working before he goes
Lying to the teacher he knows he knows
He didn't and he should've
Brought his lines in yesterday

Me misbehaving, being late for school due to dallying, giving the teacher a buncha bullshit and not bothering to do my lines, and skipping detention.

Quote:Ernie bangs the sound and the day begins
The letterbox is open and your cash falls in
I'll meet you at the office
Just before the staff clock in

Postman drops in Radge Martin's girocheque(type of government issued cheque that can be cashed at the post office, in this case an unemployment allowance cheque), meet up at the post office as early as possible, making sure we line up before all the other jobless/pensioners waiting to cash their giros so we could go blow it on video games and junk food before football starts.

Quote:The game is kicking off in around the park
It's twenty five a side and before it's dark
There's gonna be a loser
And you know the next goal wins

Football at the Bonarsteads. Manic stuff. No referee, only 1 foul(no hands unless you're the goalkeeper) and people just joining in and leaving as they please, with the rush hour(usually around 5-6 o'clock) having somtimes upwards of 50 players. Absolute chaos, especially when arguments broke out over whether the ball'd crossed the line or not, or whether someone had illegally handled the ball. Couldn't get a draw at ours, though, because if it got too dark to play and it was still tied we'd use a shootout to decide the winner.

Quote:Cab it to the front as it's called a draw
Everybody's knockin at yours once more
Ernie bangs the sound
And no one's spoken since half past four

Bussing it back to me mam's for tea and vidja games. Sometimes upwards of ten of us. No one saying shit as we're too busy getting our vidja on, or maybe some still huffed about decision made during football. We'd usually be there, depending the person, until like 6am. Most folks would generally head out around 10 or so, with the stragglers hitting it home at aboot 2am, and me, Stu and Radge Martin always being the last and just falling asleep where we were pads still in hand until me mam came downstairs in the morning and started hitting us and calling us stinking little cunts and go to be properly etc.

This was all what..? It would've started around 20 years ago, and probably finished around 10-12 years ago.

Only one I still see regularly is Radge Martin, and on occasion I'll see Stu, Andrew and my brother Martin. I know of some of the others like Ned, and I heard a few of them like Shaun had died, and the rest, I really couldn't tell you, haven't seen some of them in like 10 years.

You really do wonder where it all goes/went wrong, really. Not that it went particularly wrong for me nor nowt, but still, it's not like it went particularly right, either.
(04-29-2015, 07:25 AM)Davey link Wrote: You really do wonder where it all goes/went wrong, really. Not that it went particularly wrong for me nor nowt, but still, it's not like it went particularly right, either.

Yeah.  I can think of a lot of things I could have handled better but I don't think it would have really changed the overall outcome.  Barring some weird butterfly effect type shit, I guess.

You know it's funny.  Some of the last people I would expect to be friendly are practically waving me down in the street to say hello, invite me to hang out at their place even pulling a Bye Felecia on some other asshole that was trying to interrupt.  And yet others that I used to be close with it's like pulling teeth to get them to even respond to an e-mail.
(05-23-2015, 04:50 AM)kokushishin link Wrote: others that I used to be close with it's like pulling teeth to get them to even respond to an e-mail.

Those folks are probably best left alone to go their own way.
[Image: blocked.jpg]

That's the plan.  But si vis pacem, para bellum
(05-23-2015, 10:20 PM)kokushishin link Wrote: That's the plan.  But si vis pacem, para bellum.

I'm not sure what "if you want peace, prepare for war" has to do with it, unless you're constantly preparing yourself for the worst scenario.

Mostly it's hypocrisy.  If I ignore somebody, all of a sudden I'm an antisocial asshole.

I've hit my limit on a bunch of things in the span of a year or so, and it's finally boiling over.  I just hope it doesn't seem like I'm coming here just to bitch and moan.
(05-24-2015, 10:03 PM)kokushishin link Wrote: Mostly it's hypocrisy.  If I ignore somebody, all of a sudden I'm an antisocial asshole.

I've hit my limit on a bunch of things in the span of a year or so, and it's finally boiling over.  I just hope it doesn't seem like I'm coming here just to bitch and moan.

Even if you were (which, I don't feel like you are) that'd be fine. If I had an issue with anything you've posted I'd just delete it, so if you don't see deletions don't worry.
[Image: blocked.jpg]
Sometimes, you just gotta get shit off your chest.
[Image: ZE21KXS.jpg][Image: JOJO+TO+BE+CONTINUED.gif]Eat it everyday!