Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercenaries 2 - BEWARE
I rented this game the other day, since I really enjoyed the original, but the new one was getting mixed reviews, so I figured I'd give it the old college try before plunking down 60 bucks. 

Holy shit am I glad I did.

You'd think that having the game on a new generation of hardware, plus how long the thing has been in development would have made for an awesome experience, but the game plays exactly like the first with pretty much no improvements.  The graphics aren't much better and definitely don't feel next gen.  It seems like the only thing they improved are the explosions.  Also, the AI sucks balls and there's plenty of glitches.  Going back to my rant that stemmed from the Disgaea review, it blows my mind that they can go ahead and say that levelling up all day is pointless and giving THAT game a 6.7 when it's at least a polished game (even if it does look like a PS2 game) while this buggy, glitchy mess that feels even less improved from its last gen counterpart gets a 7.9 because despite its laundry list of faults "It's fun to blow stuff up"

I'm not going to say the game sucks, but I'd definitely recommend renting it before shelling out any serious money.  Stick to GTA4 (or hell, even the original Mercanaries) for all your mindless chaotic needs. 

No worries.  I'm working on beating Megaman 4 right now *looks up at the tall stack of "To Beat" games*
[Image: knives_striker_scott.gif]
I still have to go back to I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game.  I have all six bosses beat and I've made it to the Palace of THE GUY... and it only took a little over 1500 deaths.

If you're looking for a game that's about masochism, IT'S THE GAME FOR YOU!  To be fair, it's not usually excessively cheap (like Ghouls N' Ghosts) so much as many parts require PRECISION that only a hardcore gamer can muster... after about 20-100 tries.  Also, the game lags on me (thanks to my garbage laptop), leading to some otherwise avoidable deaths.

I was never a large fan of the first Mercenaries (great game in theory, but got boring fast), so there's no fear of me hunting down the second.
I get the feeling the best thing about this game is the commercial (which is quite freakin' annoying now too).

OH NO YOU DI-*throws TV out the window*
Tranquilo...
Quote:I get the feeling the best thing about this game is the commercial

Pretty Much

That commercial's song is pretty horrible, actually lol.  Doesn't help they were playing it every commercial segment in between Ninja Warrior.
[Image: knives_striker_scott.gif]
(09-15-2008, 04:48 AM)Red Dog link Wrote:That commercial's song is pretty horrible, actually lol.  Doesn't help they were playing it every commercial segment in between Ninja Warrior.
Shit sammich?
Despite the game's mediocrity, this made me want to buy it...

http://www.g4tv.com/thepile/videos/34590...ies_2.html

(When it's cheap enough of course)