Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on GTA4
Now that I've played GTA IV, I can finally chime in with my own two cents.

I'm unsurprised that my thoughts on the game are what I'd expected them to be before I played it.  If you like GTA, you'll like this, and if you don't, you won't.  I'm not exactly a big GTA fan, and the game hasn't changed my mind.

One thing I've never understood with the GTA games is that there's supposed to be a myriad of things to do, and the freedom to do them.  With GTA III, I felt that I was free to kill who I wanted, but that's about it.  The games have gotten better in this respect, but it's rare that I find much to do that interests me.  I believe in large part that it's because not all that happens really affects your character in a larger sense.  Surfing the Internet and laughing at women who had sex ToDaY wItH tHeIr UnClE lArRy doesn't achieve much outside of the quick laugh you get out of it.

Outside of that, the core gameplay is still identical; kill a person/persons with fisticuffs, firearms or vehicles.  Repeat ad nauseum.  It bores me in the same way that blasting the millionth generic enemy in the average FPS bores me.

This isn't me hating on GTA.  GTA IV's still the game I'm most likely to play right now (out of six I own... which kind of bothers me), and I understand that, realistically, you can only murder people in so many ways in a game that's meant to mimmick real life.  However, I'm realizing I'll always be the one to buy the games, get some limited enjoyment out of them, then wonder why I bought it to begin with.

I don't think being disinterested in GTA IV has anything to do with the Stories games either, because having owned one and played the other, I'd say that they don't even remotely compare to GTA IV.  I think I'd even compare GTA III to IV before the Stories games, because those games felt like they were just quick cash-in games created to make Rockstar easy money before the release of GTA IV (and so Rockstar could claim they supported the PSP... It's a shame, because the port of The Warriors was superb).

I didn't bring up the comparison (GTA IV - GTA III, Brawl - Melee) to make either game look bad, but to point out that one that'd put down one game and praise the other is being sort of hypocritical.  I believe both are solid games (and for the record, I DO like Smash Bros., but can at least respect the GTA series in spite of my relative indifference) with way too much hype behind them.  I believe there are more GTA IV fanboys, but more rabid Brawl ones (I'm talking about fans, not the media... I'm one that doesn't feel GTA IV deserves a ten, though my opinion's immediately biased anyway).  Take away the nostalgia factor and Brawl loses a lot... I feel that way because I know it's what I enjoy the Smash Bros. games for, probably more than the (good) gameplay.
On a semi related note, I think MGS 4 rocks Tongue
[Image: uBt9pzb.png]
If you're feeling lonely today... come along and throw your cares away!
We're really glad that you're our friend, And this is a friendship that never ever ends!
(06-17-2008, 02:01 AM)Z-Force link Wrote:On a semi related note, I think MGS 4 rocks Tongue

I read a review that said the reviewer was through act 4 and had somewhere between 5-7 hours of actual play in what was supposed to be a 40-hour plus game.

Fits.
[Image: blocked.jpg]
My first playthrough was like 21 hours, so I'd say about half of that was cutscenes (the ending was like an hour long including the credit rolls)  For some reason, the cutscenes didn't disrupt the flow of the game for me as much as they did in MGS3.  If you skip them all, you can probably get through it in 8-10 hours or so, or less if you're really good.  I really liked the gameplay though this time around, and playing through it under different circumstances gets you new weapons and toys to play with.

I'd say that if you're totally down on the Metal Gear franchise, this one probably won't change your opinion, a lot of the same aspects good and bad that previous games in the series have carry over here.  If you're a big Metal Gear fan, you'll love this as it provides closure to the series.  If you're somewhere in the middle, I'd say it's at least worth a rent.

I honestly didn't think I'd get into and enjoy the game like I have so far, so it's been a pleasant surprise for me Smile
We're really glad that you're our friend, And this is a friendship that never ever ends!
(06-17-2008, 02:16 AM)Z-Force link Wrote:My first playthrough was like 21 hours, so I'd say about half of that was cutscenes (the ending was like an hour long including the credit rolls)  For some reason, the cutscenes didn't disrupt the flow of the game for me as much as they did in MGS3.  If you skip them all, you can probably get through it in 8-10 hours or so, or less if you're really good.  I really liked the gameplay though this time around, and playing through it under different circumstances gets you new weapons and toys to play with.

I'd say that if you're totally down on the Metal Gear franchise, this one probably won't change your opinion, a lot of the same aspects good and bad that previous games in the series have carry over here.  If you're a big Metal Gear fan, you'll love this as it provides closure to the series.  If you're somewhere in the middle, I'd say it's at least worth a rent.

I honestly didn't think I'd get into and enjoy the game like I have so far, so it's been a pleasant surprise for me Smile

My issue with it is there's just not enough to be positive about. If I wanted to watch a movie I'd have bought one. The gameplay on MGS - when and where it actually exists - is great. It just takes a back seat to Kojima's I-suck-too-much-to-make-real-movies bullshit.

And therein lies the problem. As long as the market for 80-hour movies doesn't exist, Kojima will live vicariously through his "Video games".

I mean I hate to sound like a smarmy piece of shit, but what other excuse besides "wanted to make a movie but couldn't" can it be for Kojima, or the makers of the Xenosaga games, to make games that will actually have you parking your ass down for as long as 45 fucking minutes at a time, to an hour, of just watching 3D movies?

Honestly, 20 total hours of cutscenes might not even bother me if there were 20 solid hours worth of gameplay to match.

We borrowed it last night form a friend going out of town who'd just finished it. Wasn't bad or anything, in fact I enjoyed some of the humor, such as a tense battle with fart noises in the background from your squadmate who has bad diahrea. However, I don't miss that he started day two of it without me.
Zacky: now that's gravy on 360, but on PC it's hooking you up with servers all the way in Germany and shit.
LordVermin: yeah, he's been complaining about that too, I think he was looking up how to call somebody a faggot in german the other night
I now have a Wii, and have rented Brawl.

All I can say or have to say about it is this: any game in which a match can literally be over in two seconds and that you can actually do BETTER at by mashing the control pad in a circle and tapping the buttons as fast as you can than when you're actually trying to play is fundamentally fucked up. I just tried to do an event fighting three Pokemon at the same time as Pikachu and when I was actually trying, they beat me every time. So I just sat there rolling the pad in a circle and tapping buttons and I KO'd all three of them with 22% damage on me on my first attempt. Am I the only one that sees something wrong here?

If it were any other game at any other time on any other system, SBB would get laughed out of the room, condemned as "kiddy" and "simplistic", but it gets a pass from people because it's Nintendo and it's packed with nostalgia. It's not getting that pass from me. It's not all bad, don't get me wrong. it does have it's fun points and it IS packed with nostalgic elements. Like most Wii games I'm sure it's true worth is found as a party game. But anybody who looks at this game and says it's a triumph of design, especially those that say "It's a deep system"  is total idiot. This game would be great for people who just like mashing buttons, like toddlers or Maxi players. Same difference? You decide.

It is NOT better than GTA4, nor is GTA4 better than it. Both are flawed.

And by all reports I've read, MGS4 is exactly what I knew it would be: another megahyped, badly written, nonsensical boring piece of shit that you spend more time watching instead of playing.

Er, Vermin, that's simply not true.

Like any fighting game (That I've played, which is admittedly reserved to older ones and some soul calibur games), fighting the AI is completely unlike fighting a human opponent. Even a level 9 CPU and it's "perfect" defense will run into some stupid shit. Hell I passed the "King of Evil returned" event by doing nothing but jumping above the AI - who are a pack of wolverines on the ground - and just doing my Down-B that they would jump right into.

However, that's not representative of the game any more than the Psychic AI was representative of MK2. With all due respect, and this is NOT meant to sound confrontational, I'd wipe the floor with anyone who just put the C-stick (Or D-pad if you're using a wii-mote) under their nutsack and started coughing rapidly.

Smash Brawl has a ton of flaws about it, don't get me wrong. The challenges are abyssmal, and nobody could possibly enjoy Break the Targets that much. The adventure mode has a lot to be desired and I have a general dislike for "greater powers" that have nothing to do at all with the game world they're used in. But to say "the game can be won playing like an idiot and punishes you for playing smart" isn't true for anything beyond fighting CPUs. If all you have to fight are CPUs, than the game won't be very much fun at all to be frank, and I don't blame you for disliking it.

Edit: Looking back, maybe that was our point: With people to play with the game is a ton of fun, but alone it's shallow. Extremely true.

Hell, the online is laggy, but if you have a wireless router I invite you to join our "SOP" smash sessions. We just got a 4th now that Shiro plays.
Zacky: now that's gravy on 360, but on PC it's hooking you up with servers all the way in Germany and shit.
LordVermin: yeah, he's been complaining about that too, I think he was looking up how to call somebody a faggot in german the other night
On a side note, I don't have a wireless router, I just bought one of those things that you plug into one of the USB ports on the back so you can jack in an ethernet cable Smile
(06-25-2008, 11:38 PM)Z-Force link Wrote:On a side note, I don't have a wireless router, I just bought one of those things that you plug into one of the USB ports on the back so you can jack in an ethernet cable Smile

Which in my opinion, is pretty freakin dumb. It's one thing having to buy it for the PS2. It's another that the Xbox, 360, and PS3 all proved you can put an ethernet slot in systems packaging.

I just don't get how Nintendo could be the first to have integrated Wi-Fi in their Wiis, but require you to buy a dongle for ancient technology.

JUSS SAYIN.