Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on GTA4
So i rented GTA4 this weekend, and I gotta be frank. At the moment, I'm less than impressed.

Well, that's not entirely fair. I'm impressed quite a bit by the amount of laughs I get doing rampages, crashes, and watching the terrible AI run each other off the road, hit passangers I just dropped off on a taxi run who were rude to me, or run from cops only to get hit.

However, I'm really, REALLY becoming annoyed by the story mode.

Vermin sited a while ago one of his biggest annoyance is when the game completely changes it's mechanic to spoon you into doing an event it thinks you'll appreciate for story. Like being unable to remove a character frmo your party in an RPG, or not being allowed to kill someone who betrayed your entire cause and being forced to forgive them.

Well, while not on such a grand scale, GTA4 is annoying me quite a bit.

There's been more than a few "chase" missions, which are EXTREMELY aggrivating - while the driving mechanic in this game is extremely difficult, and turns being all but impossible to take at any realistic "chase" speed, the AI will flee from you top-speed taking precise turns. This already annoys me.

but what annoys me more is I've run into two now that said "Kill him before he escapes". Only you can't. I unload AK47 shells, shotguns at point-blank, pistols, everything to the head, ass, crotch, whatever, never phased my target. When in realisty, instead of "kill them before they escape", you're SUPPOSED to "chase them like an asshole until you enter a showdown cutscene".

This really pissed me off, as I failed the mission several times trying to both drive a motorcrycle AND fire a machinegun at the same time, which together with poor turning, fast speed, and bad ASI drivers, was killing me nonstop, only to find out I'm not supposed to do what it tells me at all really.

Beyond that, the game's pretty solid. Never played GTA:VC or SA, so going straight to this from GTA3 feels like a large graphical jump and a ton of new minigames - some of which don't play very well at all to me, though. That and going into the back room for a private dance and getting a randomized private dancer is always weird to me.
Zacky: now that's gravy on 360, but on PC it's hooking you up with servers all the way in Germany and shit.
LordVermin: yeah, he's been complaining about that too, I think he was looking up how to call somebody a faggot in german the other night
I'm enjoying the game, but it's not this be all end all game that's getting 10's from pretty much every mainstream reviewer out there

If I see "DESERVES AN ACADEMY AWARD!" one more time I will flip shits.
Zacky: now that's gravy on 360, but on PC it's hooking you up with servers all the way in Germany and shit.
LordVermin: yeah, he's been complaining about that too, I think he was looking up how to call somebody a faggot in german the other night
I've never played any of the games in the GTA series. To be honest, I really don't want to. Drugs, prostitutes, crime and crap like that have never been big with me, so I've never felt the urge to play any GTA games or any of the various ripoffs. If I want blood-running-in-the-streets carnage and over-the-top stunts, I'll play Crackdown. If I want the cops chasing me, I'll just blow the dust off my Driver disk and play that.

In fact, I think I'll do that right now. It's been too long since the last time I turned on the "Freight Train" cheat and watched the cars fly. Fun.
So with more experience:

Between the shitty driving mechanic, the unimaginitive missions (and by that I mean 9/10 of them are car chases, see previous comment), the broken AI DURING said missions, and the idiotic bugs (there's a 10% chance when you go to get in a car that Niko will just start moonwalking away from the car), I'm angered this is rated as anything other than "a sequel to GTA3". It really didn't break any grounds in my opinion.
Well it's going to get GAME OF THE YEAR from like everybody.... of course you and I know what the real Game of the Year is (Hint:  it starts with S, and ends in Mash Brothers)

(05-15-2008, 03:06 AM)Z-Force link Wrote: Well it's going to get GAME OF THE YEAR from like everybody.... of course you and I know what the real Game of the Year is (Hint:  it starts with S, and ends in Mash Brothers)

DAMN STRAIGHT! And I don't even own the game. I just played the demo that they had at GameStop. Marth rules...
(05-15-2008, 03:06 AM)Z-Force link Wrote: .... of course you and I know what the real Game of the Year is (Hint:  it starts with S, and ends in Mash Brothers)
Mario kart? *brick to the face*
Speaking of which, you got aim or something Z? We need to arrange more brawls. =3 (LRNEternal's mai aim)
Haven't played Brawl. GTA4's going to win media GOTY. Brawl will most likely win all the player's choice ones, though.

Personally, I just got a PS3 on Saturday and had a ball with GTA4. Maybe my standards are low. If I can drive a car around in a circle and run over people, I'm happy. None of the environments or missions I've encountered are as fucking retarded or as... "urban"... as San Andreas. From a technical standpoint it's an amazing game and a HUGE leap forward from the previous games.

I'm sure Brawl is a great game. I'm looking forward to getting a Wii and playing it. But from an objective standpoint it doesn't really hold a candle to the advances Rockstar made with GTA4. It may be more fun, that's subjective, and it's certainly cheaper. But realistically, it can't even approach the sheer scope of GTA4, and that's why GTA4 is going to win awards. Not necessarily because it is great (though I think it is), but because of how impressively and completely it dwarfs all the other games that'll be running up against it. Comparing Brawl to GTA4 is like comparing a jet ski to an aircraft carrier: one is a real blast and easily accessible, but have you SEEN a carrier up close? I mean god DAMN.

GTA4 is the first game I've seen on any next-gen system that truly shows off the potential in all that expensive hardware.

[Image: blocked.jpg]
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who wasn't overly amazed with GTA 4.  Is it a good game?  Sure.  But it doesn't feel like anything new or revolutionary like the hype rags seem to have you believe (Vice City is probably still my favorite in the series). 

Then again, my two favorite games on PS3 right now are a golf game and a $10 title from the PSN Store (Super Stardust HD)