Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official Whistle Hunter High Score thread
I remember fulfilling my dream of making a game when I was in college.  I had redesigned a shitty TI calculator Blackjack game and made it into a Windows based Blackjack game (which is also pretty shitty).  You could play as 3 different opponents, each more challenging than the last.  There was Barney the Dinosaur (easiest)  Macho Man Randy Savage (Medium) and Mr. T (Hard)  I did it for a final project in an entry level computer science course.  In High School, I made a QBasic (I'm really dating myself now) text based version which lacked the cool interface the one I did in college had, but it had more gameplay options and opponents (it even had secret characters!)  You could try to steal money from the dealer or cheat to get a good hand, but if you failed, you would automatically lose the hand (and get beaten up by whoever your opponent was)  I still have the programs if anybody actually wants them Smile

(06-05-2007, 09:43 PM)Z-Force link Wrote: I remember fulfilling my dream of making a game when I was in college.  I had redesigned a shitty TI calculator Blackjack game and made it into a Windows based Blackjack game (which is also pretty shitty).  You could play as 3 different opponents, each more challenging than the last.  There was Barney the Dinosaur (easiest)  Macho Man Randy Savage (Medium) and Mr. T (Hard)  I did it for a final project in an entry level computer science course.  In High School, I made a QBasic (I'm really dating myself now) text based version which lacked the cool interface the one I did in college had, but it had more gameplay options and opponents (it even had secret characters!)  You could try to steal money from the dealer or cheat to get a good hand, but if you failed, you would automatically lose the hand (and get beaten up by whoever your opponent was)  I still have the programs if anybody actually wants them Smile

I wanted to get "Making a Working Game" off of my "to-do" list, it's been there for many years. Destroy All Whistles is still coming, I've got the legal pad with my notes on it sitting right next to me, and I'm working on 1.2 of Whistle Hunter right this very minute.

Your story as well as mine goes to show you don't have to be a huge company to make a fun game. You don't need a dev team numbering in the dozens or a mutli-million dollar budget. All you need is one guy with some free time and a good idea. That's it.
[Image: blocked.jpg]
I'd argue as to whether or not my game is "fun" Smile

Due to the logistical impossibility of myself making a game on the scale I had intended, I have pared it down to a roguelike. You will see it by the end of the month, assuming nothing major occurs in its opposition.
"These words of wisdom come with lack of vision.
This is the first day I've ever had to stand and witness."
(06-06-2007, 06:52 PM)Blueslipstream link Wrote: Due to the logistical impossibility of myself making a game on the scale I had intended, I have pared it down to a roguelike. You will see it by the end of the month, assuming nothing major occurs in its opposition.

Be sure to link it once you've got it somewhere where we can get to it.
379200, 5th iteration. The whistles were able to withstand 8 rifle hits.
I got a little over 300,000 before the computer BSOD'd.  Apparently this computer doesn't appreciate the ALMIGHTY MIGHT of Whistle Hunter.

When I get myself a half-decent working computer (I'm hoping for sometime in October, though knowing how things go, probably never) I'll have to give it a more appropriate run-through.  As is, this one is just too slow to handle it.
My home computer is fubar for the next week, so that June 30 estimate has turned into July 7.

Edit: July 14
1.2 is on the way. Won't be this week, but should be before the end of July.
Quote:I've always believed the games that are simplest at their core are the most fun to play. The games I've always loved and consider classics have always been extremely simple mechanically.

Speaking of that line, does anyone else consider it sad that I just spent $1,000 on a nice 37" LCD HDTV for playing games, and the game I've been playing probably the most on it is an updated version of Pac Man that was just released on XBox Live Arcade?  (Well that and Oblivion anyway)  Kinda like when I bought my last TV a few years ago and the first game I fired up on it was Mike Tyson's Punch Out.